BSD 3 Clause?

Lukas Sommer sommerluk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 06:33:18 GMT 2022

Hello everyone.

I have a question about BSD-3-Clause.
https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy says:

> BSD-2-Clause: BSD License as listed below.
> Ensure that the BSD license does not contain the so called 'advertisement
clause' or terms similar to Facebook's Additional Grant of Patent Rights.

And:

> 13. CMake code must be licenced under the BSD licence listed below

And:

> BSD-2-Clause
>
> SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-2-Clause
> SPDX-FileCopyrightText: <year> <name of author> <e-mail>
>
> A third requirement is sometimes included: BSD-3-Clause
>
> The advertising clause requiring mention in adverts must never be
included. The Facebook patent grant must never be included.

Now does this mean that BSD-3-Clause may be used instead of BSD-2-Clause
for CMake code or that it must not be used? Can we clarify the wiki page?

Best regards

Lukas Sommer