Help get KDE apps into Hungarian education

Kovács Áron aron.kovacs at kde.org
Tue Dec 20 17:02:32 GMT 2022

Hi everyone,
Earlier this year I contacted FSF.hu - the foundation creating a custom Ubuntu
version which Hungarian schools and students taking the Érettségi (our equivalent
to a matura/bac/abitur) can use - about potentially including Krita and Kate in the
software catalogue, since these 2 can help solve the exercises.
The person responsible for the image supports the idea and responded with: (please
excuse any translation errors)
/"Once a year (in August) we have the opportunity to submit a new image to the
Office of Education, which can be added to the official software list after editorial
approval. I will try to write this up so that it is not left out of the next version next
June/July! Recommendations beyond that [Krita and Kate] are welcome! Packages
that are not required for the exam but useful for daily learning may be included, this
is also supported by our editor, he only tests the packages on the software list. At the
same time, we don't want to overstep the mark, it's a delicate line, but we are happy
to include up-and-coming, stable new releases...  Best regards: Péter Gödöny
"unofficial" Ubuntu activist"/

Our goal is to promote KDE software in education. *Including something in this "OS"
makes it possible for students to use it for the exam, thereby more likely that
teachers choose to teach them.* Kids learning some KDE stuff would be certainly
useful for the Community in the long term.
So, I'd like to ask for opinions (of educators and everyone):
*What KDE apps useful in everyday learning would you recommend recommending
to FSF.hu? *It's a plus if they are very stable and have good Hungarian translations.
You can try last year's Ubuntu Érettségi ReMix image here[1] (you have to guess the
URL currently, but let's hope that changes) and find an example of our Érettségi
exam here[2].

Thanks and happy holidays in advance.

Best wishes,
Áron Kovács