Updates to Wikis

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 11:02:47 BST 2022

Hi all,

This evening I completed updates to our three Wikis - Userbase, Techbase
and Community - which moved them on to the latest LTS version of Mediawiki.

While this is only an incremental change and is not expected to have
significant change, please let us know if you see anything broken.

The one major change this update did bring was a transition from MyKDE
authentication (using custom code) to Invent authentication (based off an
upstream maintained extension) as part of our continued efforts to
transition all services to using Invent (Gitlab) authentication across our
services.

One major benefit this brings us is that names and email addresses will now
sync when changed on Gitlab to the Wikis (subject to a logout/login cycle
to the wiki in question) which is something not previously available to us
with either Identity, Phabricator or MyKDE login that the wikis have used.

The transition should be fairly seamless however if you have used multiple
email addresses in your time in the KDE Community there is the possibility
it will create a new account for you on the wiki instead of finding your
existing account. If this happens, please file a Sysadmin ticket and we
will merge your wiki accounts (same applies if previous system changes have
left you with duplicate accounts on the wikis)

Thanks,
Ben