Drupal sites within KDE

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 19:52:58 BST 2022

On Thursday, 11 August 2022 15:47:09 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> On 8/11/22 06:05, Paul Brown wrote:
> > On Thursday, 11 August 2022 13:49:58 CEST Carl Schwan wrote:
> >> Personally after having to deal with Wordpress at work, I think it offers
> >> an horrible developer experience with tons of plugin violating the
> >> spirit of the GPL, using PHP like it is still 00s (static and global
> >> variable everywhere, almost no OOP, no namespaces, weird naming
> >> convention e.g. $the_post, ...) and very poor internalization
> >> infrastructure. And so I wouldn't recommend it
> >>
> > :(
> >
> > Great interface for writers, though. As this is going to be used for
> > mostly
> > writing, that should be taken into account also.
>
> I agree with both of you: WP is kinda sucky for developers, but pretty
> great for users. That said, assuming those who maintain it don't have
> major problems (as Ben indicated) perhaps it would make sense as the
> direction to move in.
>
> Selfish detail: my weekly blog runs on Wordpress and I've been thinking
> of moving the "This Week in KDE" posts to KDE infrastructure and opening
> it up to more contributors, so having an existing WordPress instance
> that the content would be plugged into would ease the transition.

... And, all things considered, the current Drupal set up gives us the worst
of both worlds: the writing interface is horrendous and buggy, its markup
inconsistent, the layout features non-existent, uploading and embedding media
is tedious, and, according to the devs that have had to deal with its backend,
it is bad there too.

If compromise is a state where nobody is happy, well, that's Drupal. But in a
bad way.

Cheers

Paul
--