Drupal sites within KDE

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 14:47:09 BST 2022

On 8/11/22 06:05, Paul Brown wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 August 2022 13:49:58 CEST Carl Schwan wrote:
>> Personally after having to deal with Wordpress at work, I think it offers an
>> horrible developer experience with tons of plugin violating the spirit of
>> the GPL, using PHP like it is still 00s (static and global variable
>> everywhere, almost no OOP, no namespaces, weird naming convention e.g.
>> $the_post, ...) and very poor internalization infrastructure. And so I
>> wouldn't recommend it
>
> :(
>
> Great interface for writers, though. As this is going to be used for mostly
> writing, that should be taken into account also.

I agree with both of you: WP is kinda sucky for developers, but pretty
great for users. That said, assuming those who maintain it don't have
major problems (as Ben indicated) perhaps it would make sense as the
direction to move in.

Selfish detail: my weekly blog runs on Wordpress and I've been thinking
of moving the "This Week in KDE" posts to KDE infrastructure and opening
it up to more contributors, so having an existing WordPress instance
that the content would be plugged into would ease the transition.

Nate