Extending the license policy to allow certain exceptions

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Nov 25 21:10:11 GMT 2021

El dijous, 25 de novembre de 2021, a les 16:42:32 (CET), Ingo Klöcker va escriure:
> Hi all,
>
> it's not clear to me whether our licensing policy allows exceptions or not.

As far as I understand we want a "limited" number of licenses because we want to be relatively free of copying code around without having to worry [a lot] about the license.

As far as I see this means exceptions are OK as "emitters-of-code" since they give you "more" rights so you can copy from them to somewhere else without issues.

The problem is when files with exceptions are the "receivers-of-code" since you're actually breaking the license of the code-you-copied from somewhere else.

So we need to be careful about that.

My opinion is that if we mark it *very* clearly (with license markers and maybe even with a special filename foo_gpl_with_exception.cpp?) and we have a very good reason for the exception to be there it should not be a problem.

Though how to write that into policy I am not sure :D

Cheers,
  Albert