Extending the license policy to allow certain exceptions

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 25 15:42:32 GMT 2021

Hi all,

it's not clear to me whether our licensing policy allows exceptions or not.

https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy does not mention any
exceptions.

https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Licensing explains how to use
exceptions and gives an example with the Qt-LGPL-exception-1.1.

I have copied code from GCC's STL to implement a QMutex-compatible replacement
for std::unique_lock (because apparently Windows resp. mingw doesn't have
std::mutex). GCC's code is "GPL-3.0-or-later WITH GCC-exception-3.1". (Ignore
the bogus license id in the .cpp file. I've already fixed it.) Therefore I've
put my Qt'ified copy under the same license.

What now? Did I violate our licensing policy? Should we explicitly add allowed
exceptions to our licensing policy? I guess we don't want to allow all
exceptions listed at https://spdx.org/licenses/exceptions-index.html.

Regards,
Ingo