Introduction of new Nextcloud instance

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jul 22 06:49:45 BST 2021

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 10:57 AM Daniel A. Rodriguez <
drodriguez at libreoffice.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 4:22 AM Noah Davis <noahadvs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thank you for doing this!
> >>
> >> I noticed that new documents created from the new file menu button use
> >> Microsoft Office formats (e.g., docx, xlsx). Can you swich the default
> >> formats to OpenDocument formats?
>
> > I'm afraid the native formats of OnlyOffice are the Microsoft Office
> format
> > files - which is also the format they work with internally.
> > It therefore doesn't allow changing the default file extension it will
> try
> > to create.
> >
> > (With regards to ODF editing it warns that there may be some fidelity
> > issues)
> >
> > You can however override the extension when creating and it will happily
> > respect that.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ben
>
> I am not a KDE user but I consider this measure a big step backwards in
> terms of the defense of open standards that any project involved in free
> software should promote.

While I appreciate the sentiment, all we are talking about here is the
default extension on the file created by Nextcloud.
The full software stack - which is totally open source - is fully capable
of reading and writing ODF (subject to some fidelity warnings - which is
normal as i've different versions of LibreOffice render documents
differently).

A default extension is quite far from a big step backwards.

> You may not be aware, but there is a product developed in Taiwan that is
> available in a community version and provides full support for the only
> standard office document format: ODF. It's called OxOffice Online, it's a
> fork of LibreOffice Online with several improvements. In fact we are using
> it at the university where I work.
>
> I leave you the link,
> https://docs.ossii.com.tw/books/oxoffice-online-%E6%8A%80%E8%A1%93%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8A

Does one of those improvements include a switch to client side rendering?

One of the major weaknesses of LibreOffice Online is that it makes use of
server side rendering, which means over connections that have anything but
low latency you can actually see the tiles being refreshed - and typing
does not yield an immediate response. This has been a cause of substantial
complaints that Sysadmin has received regarding our present setup at
share.kde.org (and some of these have come from people in Europe, so even
~50ms or so is too much for the server side rendering approach to be
workable).

You can also see this on the Demo Nextcloud instance they have on their
website (or at least I can with my 300ms or so of latency to the servers -
something I don't see at all with our OnlyOffice setup) so this isn't a
fault caused by our deployment.

> Best regards

Regards,
Ben