Proposal: remove the restriction on normal Bugzilla users being able to change the Severity field

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sun Jun 20 21:02:48 BST 2021

Hi all,

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 at 21:50, Halla Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, 19 June 2021 21:47:48 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
>
> > Please note that if we remove the restrictions on severity modification,
> > then it will not be possible to remove those privileges from problematic
> > users.
> > Our only solution in that case will be to ban the problematic user.
>
> I think we should leave it be. It's not the reporter, anyway, who can make
> a proper decisions about severity, so it's fine if the triager/developer
> changes it. And if we can just tell the reporter "this is for the
> developers", in my experience, except for the worst cases, it works out.
>

> I am all with Halla on this one. We have had too many people setting the
severity wrongly and this seems to be very much in the eye of the beholder.
Only triagers/developers should be able to change this. Ditto for the
Priority btw, where many users tend to abuse it if it were left open.

I think it is much better to mentor and grant privileges to volunteer
triagers faster, with an appropriate testing time. All too often have we
had volunteer triagers step up and vanish again after a few days, certainly
not because of lack of privileges but more overwhelmed by the amount of
work and lack of understanding how triaging works.

Regards, Myriam
--
Pronouns: she/her
Proud member of the Amarok and KDE Community: