The status of freenode (the IRC network used by KDE)

Kenny Duffus kenny at kde.org
Tue Jun 15 14:25:11 BST 2021

Hi

We had been trying to have a nice orderly migration from freenode but that wasn't to be despite all our work as freenode imploded earlier today

The main problem for our migration was that the majority of our matrix bridged rooms are "portals" which aren't really meant to ever move

Element Matrix Services support are working with us to convert the portal rooms to plumbed rooms which we can then migrate

Existing plumbed rooms can skip this stage and be unlinked from freenode and using the integration manager add an irc bridge  to libera to them instead

If you are in a kde matrix room that i'm not please invite me there so that i definitely know of its existance,  I'm @kenny:kde.org

For people using IRC directly life should be simpler, you can just disconect from freenode if you haven't and then join the corresponding rooms on Libera https://libera.chat/guides/connect

The vast majority of IRC rooms have been created and registered, if you find any that aren't please let me know (seaLne)

Thanks

--

	Kenny
	(Pronouns: he/him)