The status of freenode (the IRC network used by KDE)

argonel argonel at kde.org
Tue Jun 15 09:50:58 BST 2021

At the moment the "old" network appears to be broken into about 4 pieces.

chat.freenode.net and irc.freenode.net point to the "new" network. The
"new" network servers have a very low limit for connections per IP
address (I don't know the number), and only 20 channels per user. I
don't recommend connecting to the "new" network from a shared service
such as bnc.kde.org.

classic.freenode.net points to the most functional piece of the "old" network.

If you wish to remain connected to the "old" network, replacing chat
or irc.freenode.net with classic.freenode.net may work for the time
being. I don't know for how long, nor how reliable.

~Eli