Rebranding the release service

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Feb 15 13:01:25 GMT 2021

Here at KDE we've always struggled a bit with branding and the announcement
of formats for the bunch of releases that was originally "KDE" then "KDE
SC" then "KDE Applications" and at Akademy 2019 we decided to debrand it
and make it a release service with lots of different stuff in it.  We had
monthly update announcements that included those releases on the months
when they happened and otherwise included everything else released over the
past month.  But the format doesn't seem to have caught on by various
metrics.  So the promo group had some chat about different formats you can
read at https://phabricator.kde.org/T14091

Currently the plan is to reband it probably with the name KDE Gear.   That
gets released every 4 months (same as currently) with a big announcement
for it and everything in it.  It's still a collection of apps and
supporting libraries with no connection to each other except they happen to
be KDE projects which don't want to do their own release work.  Then every
4 months on the months between times we have an update article highlighting
all the other stuff that has been released by KDE.  The bugfix releases for
KDE Gear happen monthly as currently and only have a minimal announcement.

We hope this format will get some more traction with engagement from
outside press and social media buzz.  Any comments welcome.

Jonathan