Targeted donations (Re: Fundraising in KDE)

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:43:42 BST 2020

Hi Ingo,

Le 2020-10-04 à 11:58, Ingo Klöcker a écrit :
> On Sonntag, 4. Oktober 2020 00:36:56 CEST Philippe Cloutier wrote:
>>> As one of the auditors of accounting I'll add that tracking money that is
>>> allocated to a specific project will make book keeping much more
>>> complicated. I'm not sure whether the simple tracking of income and
>>> expenses that we currently do will be sufficient.

>>> In my opinion, paying people for doing KDE stuff (reminder: we do already
>>> pay quite a few people for doing important KDE stuff) is orthogonal to
>>> allocating money to specific projects. Complexity of book keeping would
>>> change from O(n) to O(n²).
>> Can you clarify what you mean?
> Currently we have a single big bucket for our money. All money that comes in
> (e.g. several thousand PayPal donations per year) goes into this bucket. All
> money that we spend is taken from this bucket. That's as simple as it gets.
>
> If we would allow targeted donations then we would have to sort all donations
> into multiple buckets. And all of our expenses would need to be taken from the
> correct buckets. Additionally, our contractors (e.g. our marketing
> contractors) would probably need to start tracking how much time they spend
> for a specific project (if we have a bucket for it), so that we can pay them
> from the right buckets.
>
> So, maybe it's more a change from O(1) to O(n*m) where n is the number of
> transactions and m is the number of different buckets.

Thank you, that is much clearer (and way more sensical). I still don't
fully understand though;

  * Would this quantify the resources needed to process a *single*
    transaction, or what?
  * What resources does this quantify? *Manpower*, or computing resources?

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com