Fundraising in KDE

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Oct 4 16:58:43 BST 2020

On Sonntag, 4. Oktober 2020 00:36:56 CEST Philippe Cloutier wrote:
> Le 2020-09-27 à 17:29, Ingo Klöcker a écrit :
> > On Sonntag, 27. September 2020 22:54:07 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> >> El diumenge, 27 de setembre de 2020, a les 21:36:46 CEST, Vincent Pinon
> >> va escriure:
> >>
> >> That's more a "historically has not wanted" than a "legally can't".
> >
> > As one of the auditors of accounting I'll add that tracking money that is
> > allocated to a specific project will make book keeping much more
> > complicated. I'm not sure whether the simple tracking of income and
> > expenses that we currently do will be sufficient.
> >
> >> It's my hope that with the recent KDE eV board public statements about
> >> them
> >> wanting to help people make out a living out of doing KDE stuff this may
> >> change.
> >
> > In my opinion, paying people for doing KDE stuff (reminder: we do already
> > pay quite a few people for doing important KDE stuff) is orthogonal to
> > allocating money to specific projects. Complexity of book keeping would
> > change from O(n) to O(n²).
>
> Can you clarify what you mean?

Currently we have a single big bucket for our money. All money that comes in
(e.g. several thousand PayPal donations per year) goes into this bucket. All
money that we spend is taken from this bucket. That's as simple as it gets.

If we would allow targeted donations then we would have to sort all donations
into multiple buckets. And all of our expenses would need to be taken from the
correct buckets. Additionally, our contractors (e.g. our marketing
contractors) would probably need to start tracking how much time they spend
for a specific project (if we have a bucket for it), so that we can pay them
from the right buckets.

So, maybe it's more a change from O(1) to O(n*m) where n is the number of
transactions and m is the number of different buckets.

I think we are way too small (in terms of cash flow) for allowing targeted
donations.

Regards,
Ingo