Fundraising in KDE

Uli Klinkhammer uk at kontent.com
Tue Sep 29 13:32:35 BST 2020

On 2020-09-28 09:59, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 September 2020 21:36:46 CEST Vincent Pinon wrote:
>

>> Very regularly, we have video editors asking how to give money (amounts
>> 10€ to 100€) to boost development of that tool highly useful for them.
>> When we answer to give to KDE, who shares the infrastructure and funds
>> the sprints, they express they would prefer a more dedicated donation to
>> pay for development (bug solving, feature development...)
> At this point, I'd advise you to do what I did: create a foundation, get a bank account and take donations in. For applications like Blender, Krita, Kdenlive that's really the only way to go because your users and potential supporters won't understand an umbrella organizagtion like KDE.
>
> Especially once the majority of users is on Windows, the KDE story won't lead to donations. KDE needs to find its supporters in the free software and Linux world.

I see it the same.

When I think in KDE, I mainly think in the 2 Linux distros Kubuntu and Neon.

But... Blender, Krita and Kdenlive make part of them. So they will help
moneyfunding for KDE in some way.

So, as stated in my last email, the funding should focus on the Distros.
And better, if there are a organsiational and a private one. Because
where the organisations are, there is the money.

greez,

Uli