Fundraising in KDE

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 17:10:29 BST 2020

Hi Michał,

Le 2020-09-24 à 13:59, Michał Policht a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> One of the possibilities is to team-up with cryptocurrency communities.
> I know there's some aversion towards cryptocurrencies in KDE community,
> but crypto devs are really about the same goals you mention: "A world in
> which everyone has control over their digital life and enjoys freedom
> and privacy.".
>
> There are platforms like https://flipstarter.cash/, which can help
> gather funds for new projects.
>
> KDE could also release its own token, which among many things could be
> used to pay the devs. I know it requires a bunch of lawyers to
> accomplish, but it's probably doable.

...and more importantly, backing :-(

However, if we want to add incentives "at no cost", we could still:

 1. Create personal dashboards showing all the contributions of each
    contributor (except those individual contributors wish to keep private)
 2. Reward contributors with decisional power (KDE e.V. votes). Of
    course, while giving someone power doesn't have an immediate
    monetary cost, you can't do that without effectively taking away
    power from others, if you consider the organization's value as constant.

And while I think the above ideas should be explored, let me clarify I
am not in any way opposing reasonable monetary compensation, which
obviously remains the simplest incentive.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com