BoF Notes: How Python can help KDE Development?
cmaureirafredes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 15:13:29 BST 2020
Thanks for the ones that were able to participate on
the Python BoF last Wednesday :)
The initial notes I suggested to discuss can be found here:
and here are some comments/ideas/notes from the discussion:
* There are two main ways Python could play an important role in KDE
(1) Exposing some C++ API to Python, so it gets easier for people to
some libraries, to write simple applications.
(2) Extend the functionality of C++ based applications with Python (as
plugins, for example)
- At the moment, Kirigami offers a well structured set of elements to
create amazing UI/UX
so it would be really beneficial if Kirigami could be exposed to
both PyQt and PySide.
- There is already some related work started by Jonah , so it would
be really cool if someone
else would like to help with the packaging process.
* Android deploy Qt
- Mobile development is one of the weak points of Python applications,
so this would benefit a lot
the Python developers that currently want to have applications running
- There has been some work related to PyKDE5, the port of PyKDE4 
- This set of bindings is based on sip, the binding generator that PyQt
- Some of the modules included here are: karchive, kcoreaddons,
* Showcase of applications using Python
- Falkon, has some scripts.
- Krita, has support for Python scripting.
- GNU Health is developed with PySide2. 
- Since it's based on QtScript, there might an option to evaluate of
Python can replace it, since QtScript
- A similar project on this topic is PythonQt 
# Action points
1. Get Kirigami on PyPi for Python users (PyQt/PySide)
2. Check if something could be done to help projects like Falkon and Krita,
from a scripting point of view
3. Provide shiboken (generator) as a system executable to make it easier to
generate Python bindings for any C++ project.
I'm certain many of you have some cool ideas regarding
Python in KDE, so I would love to read your thoughts on the topic.
For any attendee, if you noticed I forgot to mention something,
or I got something wrong, please let's know!
Have a nice Saturday!
PS: Join us on https://t.me/qtforpython if you are interested in the
Dr. Cristián Maureira-Fredes
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the kde-community