KDE Apps name trademarks

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jul 20 10:11:16 BST 2020

On Montag, 20. Juli 2020 01:17:20 CEST Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> The most important thing, though, would be to formulate our trademark policy
> so we have a clear base to operate from for now and the future. We should
> look at the trademark policies of other projects and use them as
> inspiration and maybe something like a template.

We do have some kind of trademark policy already for the KDE logo. It's not
listed at the KDE e.V. page under policies (where I looked first). I found it
at the "KDE Clipart" page:
https://kde.org/stuff/clipart.php

It reads
"The KDE logo can be used freely as long as it is not used to refer to
projects other than KDE itself. There is no formal procedure to use it.
Copying of the KDE Logo is subject to the LGPL copyright license. Trading and
branding with the KDE Logo is subject to our trademark licence. For more
details on their usage please see the KDE CIG Logo page."

(The "KDE CIG Logo" page which the above refers to only explains when to use
which logo style.)

Wikimedia Commons cites the above text as trademark license:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Klogo-official-crystal.svg

Regards,
Ingo