KDE Apps name trademarks

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Thu Jul 9 20:35:23 BST 2020

On 2020-07-09 20:10, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> El jue., 9 de jul. de 2020 a la(s) 10:49, Christoph Cullmann
> (christoph at cullmann.io) escribió:
>> There is no evidence that this upload contains any virus/miner/...
>>
>> And even for the GPL it is enough if he provides the sources on
>> request
>> and only to the customers that bought the app.
>
> That's not true:
> - If I buy the app and it includes the source code, I'm allowed to
> redistribute the binary, as long as I include the source code too
> (GPLv2 §3.a).
> - If it *doesn't* include the source code, then it has to include a
> written offer to provide the source code "to any third party" (GPLv2
> §3.b), and I'm allowed to redistribute the binary as long as I include
> either the source code (§3.a), or pass along the offer for source code
> that I got from the seller (§3.c). If you download it from me and I
> include that offer, you can request the source from the seller, even
> if you didn't buy the app from them.

Yes, that is all fine, but you see the point that one needs to buy it
at least once to check that. It might not be me, you can do it and pass
it to me and I can then request the stuff.

If they fail to hand out the sources then, there is an issue.

But as long as nobody buys it and any of the above isn't honored, there
is no legal issue.

Anyways, I am not sure if the GPL violation is at all a point here,
I doubt they will not give out the sources, they just want to rip
off the average Joe/Jane/.. app store customer that cares not at all
to get the sources or doesn't investigate at all that he could get
this for free.

Greetings
Christoph

--