KDE Apps name trademarks

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Thu Jul 9 08:24:12 BST 2020

On 2020-07-09 01:23, Nate Graham wrote:
> On 7/8/20 4:27 PM, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
>> On Mittwoch, 8. Juli 2020 20:27:58 CEST Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>>> Otherwise we must keep in mind we are open source and yes, this is
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> (and perhaps promote the KDE e.V. uploaded stuff better)
>>
>> +1
>> IMO the most important thing here is to prevent someone else giving
>> KDE a bad
>> reputation by providing a low quality app. The best way to do that is
>> provide an official app - I think people will use that one if they
>> have the
>> opportunity.
>
> Yeah.
>
> Uploading these apps ourselves seems to be the obvious solution. This
> will also undercut any 3rd-party uploads that cost money, because who
> would pay money for a counterfeit version when the original thing
> straight from the authors is free?

Yes,

but that will need people that help with this.

At the moment, Hannah, me, and a few others do that, but there is no
real workforce
to get more stuff uploaded at the moment.

(I even didn't update e.g. filelight since last year or so, just Kate
and Okular)

For Kate and Okular I am happy with the current state, there are some
open bug reports,
but as far as I can see nothing really grave like "crashs the whole
time" or "eats all my data".

Still, it would be nice to reach out to more developers on Windows, not
sure how that is done best,
my blog posts did seem to have a very low impact.

Btw., the internal store statistics show Kate will soon peek over the
50k acquisitions border, Okular is a bit over 40k.

Greetings
Christoph

--
Ignorance is bliss...