KDE Apps name trademarks

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 8 19:45:58 BST 2020

On 2020.07.08 14:20, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 6:09 AM Christoph Cullmann
> <christoph at cullmann.io> wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-07-08 18:12, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > > Recently we've noticed some KDE apps ending up on the Microsoft
> Store
> > > uploaded by unknown third parties.  Maybe to up some credit score
> for
> > > their developer account.  Maybe to install bitcoin  miners.  We
> don't
> > > know the motivations.  Since it's all free software the licence
> allows
> > > it.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > have you some links to these applications?
>
> I believe Jonathan will be referring to
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/kdiff-3-diff-utility/9ndvvx243rfh?activetab=pivot:overviewtab#
If I follow that link, and click for the US version, I see KDiff3 for
sale at $4.99.  Does the license actually allow charging?  (I wonder
how that is split between MS and the uploader.)   I know you can charge
for media, but this is download, so no media.  It also doesn't seem to
mention anything about where the source code is available.  I don't see
any mention of KDE at all, but I suppose that is legal.

I'm curious what happens if someone buys this, and then needs help.  Do
they go to the uploader?  I doubt it.  Do they go to Microsoft?  I
doubt it.  If the program hasn't been modified by the uploader to point
to a different source of help, it probably points back to KDE.

If KDE does officially upload anything to the Window Store, should we
just upload an official version whenever we see this happen?