Influence of infrastructure on development pace (was: Re: Import of personal repositories to Gitlab)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Jun 21 16:15:59 BST 2020

Hi Bernie,

Am Sonntag, 21. Juni 2020, 14:03:23 CEST schrieb Bernie Innocenti:
> On 21/06/2020 20.25, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> > I was arguing with a friend that the pace of development of KDE is
> > accelerating thanks to various process and infrastructure improvements.

Please also argue with him about how nice it is and what impression it leaves
to others to hijack email threads and/or not adapting the subject line when
doing so ;)

> > My friend believes that it hasn't changed. Perhaps my perception is
> > affected by Nate's awesome weekly updates giving wider visibility to
> > changes. Who knows?
> >
> > If anyone is graphing things like commits, issues fixed, and other
> > simple project health metrics, I'd be really curious to see if there are
> > noticeable changes around major migrations such as Subversion -> git and
> > Phabricator -> GitLab.
>
> Jonathan Corbet might have developed some cool data mining scripts to
> help put together his periodic kernel statistics and his keynotes on the
> state of kernel development.

You might be also interested in https://framagit.org/ervin/ComDaAn (see
https://chzn.fr/blog/tooling-for-community-data-analytics for an
introduction).

When it comes to older work in the KDE community about data-based
introspection, Paul Adams (see also references in above links) some years ago
made interesting related work, find traces in the web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160316102926/http://blogs.fsfe.org/padams/?
tag=visualization
Or see (sadly, listen is almost impossible) a talk given at Akademy:
https://conf.kde.org/en/Akademy2014/public/events/167

But please, start a new own thread for this, thanks :)

Cheers
Friedrich