The chat situation

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Fri Jun 12 06:09:01 BST 2020

The incompatibility in capabilities between IRC, Matrix, and Telegram
feels like it makes smooth communication between all three all but
impossible. Maybe I'm wrong about this--hopefully I am! Because I think
that if we're going to stay with Matrix, we need to somehow improve the
UX in directions that attract all the people who currently use either
Telegram or IRC with the goal of deprecating both. Because if Matrix
can't be better than the two things it was intended to replace, then
it's not a success, right?

If our Matrix instance is sponsored such that requesting support,
maintenance, or development resources costs somebody else time and
money, that seems problematic for the prospect of the issues under
discussion being ironed out. Hopefully there are at least some things we
can take care of on our side to improve the situation.

Nate