The chat situation

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jun 11 22:55:27 BST 2020

Ilmari Lauhakangas - 11.06.20, 15:18:33 CEST:
> Christian Loosli kirjoitti 11.6.2020 klo 15.25:
> > And while IRC is improving  (and you are very welcome to participate
> > e.g. in #ircv3 or #freenode-dev on freenode) two of the main pain
> > points people mention   (lack of an endless scrollback / offline
> > history, uploading media directly) are unlikely to fully happen on
> > freenode / IRC, due to both technical and privacy / legal reasons.
> > There is very likely to be (offline) backlog, but it will be
> > time-limited due to the above constraints. Not having these
> > constraints means someone else (neither freenode nor probably KDE)
> > has both the storage and the legal willingness to store that data,
> > with all implications this brings (DSVGO, security and privacy,
> > ...)
> > These are usually profit oriented companies, and having to rely on
> > these brings up some new issues.
>
> I'm not sure an endless scrollback is a dealbreaker. I've noticed
> folks in Telegram talking about cleanup bots that regularly delete
> the history due to whatever privacy concerns. But in general, sure,
> people want hosting & backups & everything for free and top notch
> customer support :)

/me looks at a certain 703 MiB large Quasselcore SQLite database and…
hides… Really need to check for a script to clean it up at some point.
But would like to it clean out public chats and keep private ones for
example. For some reasons Quassel IRC still runs quite fast despite this
database size.

--
Martin