The chat situation

XYQuadrat mail at xyquadrat.ch
Thu Jun 11 15:15:04 BST 2020

Hi,

First off, let me say that I personally have been increasingly satisfied
with Matrix and am of the opinion that once an alternative homeserver
implementation (Dendrite or conduit.rs come to mind, both of them have
top-notch performance) is ready for production, it will be the optimal
solution for KDE. Additionally, as a young developer (< 20 years old), I
very much appreciate how similar Matrix is to other chat services and
would likely be less active if I had to participate via IRC.

What I am asking myself right now is how to lead this discussion into
the most productive way possible. I have gathered from the current mails
in this thread that there is a wide variety of opinions, preferences and
approaches to this problem. There has already been a community-wide poll
(https://sessellift.wordpress.com/2017/09/05/results-of-the-requirements-survey-for-a-kde-wide-chat-solution/)
back in 2017 - are the requirements based on this survey still accurate?
Additionally, how can we most efficiently reach a decision on what to
do? I suspect that simply talking about the pros and cons of Matrix and
IRC will not get us anywhere.

Best wishes,
Julian