The chat situation

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jun 11 10:32:12 BST 2020

Hi Nate, hi.

Nate Graham - 11.06.20, 01:16:55 CEST:
> The current Matrix solution does not seem not optimal to me. I have
> really tried my best to be a good citizen and use Matrix as much as
> possible over the last year but I find myself gravitating back towards
> Telegram because of how much better the overall UX is, especially for
> fast-moving discussions and those involving images.
[…]
> This situation really needs to be fixed, somehow. I'm not
> knowledgeable enough regarding chat software to be able to propose
> solution, but I don't feel like the status quo is something we should
> live with. Can we fix Matrix? Or should we migrate to something that
> offers a better UX?

I am still using IRC. Last time I tried to register for Matrix it put up
some Google Recaptcha and is where I lost my interest already.

But aside from that, I believe part of the thing is:

I am not using *any* chat client from KDE at the moment. Why?

There are not up to par with what would be needed:

Kopete currently is not even in Debian unstable… and last it was, it
wasn't working all that well. And no OMEMO with XMPP either. Also it
claims to support many more chat protocols than make sense.

KDE Telepathy appears to be abandoned completely.

Even Konversation does not seem to receive a lot of attention, or am I
missing something? It however still appears to be quite usable.

But I am using Quassel IRC anyway…

Kaidan.im – I hope it will get there, without OMEMO no option for me.

I think this could be one of the next community goals after the
currently running 3 years period… fix up the chat software situation in
KDE. However for now that won't help.

So for now there may be the option to find a suitable combination of
*some* chat client, even outside of KDE project, with chat server that
satisfies people.

I'd keep IRC however until there would be something that could convince
all those IRC users to switch over.

Thanks,
--
Martin