The chat situation

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Thu Jun 11 10:09:25 BST 2020

Kenny Duffus kirjoitti 11.6.2020 klo 11.44:
> On Thursday, 11 June 2020 08:19:21 BST Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
>> As an alternative, we can also "fix" IRC, meaning to improve its UX.
>>
>> For offering a KDE-hosted always-online experience to everyone, there
>> are modern solutions such as
>>
>> https://convos.chat/
>> https://thelounge.chat/
>> https://github.com/kiwiirc/kiwibnc
>>
>> Of these, KiwiBNC is a general purpose bouncer, which means you can
>> attach any mobile or desktop client to it. Account creation could be
>> tied to KDE Identity.
>>

> Hi
>
> KDE already offers a bouncer
>
> https://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/BNC

Ok, that is nice, but KiwiBNC would remove the need for manual sysadmin
work. Just thinking of a future that is up to modern expectations and
without a setup UX requiring acrobatics. Even KiwiBNC still needs work
to get rid of the need for command-line style setting up of SASL
authentication.

Ilmari