Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Apr 29 20:46:22 BST 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 4:17 AM Nicolás Alvarez
<nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Your mention of namespaces reminds me that there was **also** a discussion in
> >> this thread about workboards and reviews.
> >>
> >> GitLab can have **one** workboard per group. So depending on how the
> >> categories / namespaces work out, we have choices in the overall number of
> >> workboards:
> >>
> >> - one big one (flat)
> >> - one per (sub)group / namespace
> >>
> >> We should look at this as well. Arguments I've seen in this thread
> >>
> >> - one big one is unmanageably large
> >> - (sub)communities have asked for smaller (split) workboards
> >> - split workboards make it harder to work over group boundaries
> >> - one big one allows moving reviews and tasks to where they belong
> >
> > Outch, that's a nasty one. I thought there was a workboard per repository... And most of the proposed groups actually aren't really subcommunities in any case, just bags of holding for vaguely similar projects.
>
> My understanding is that there is a workboard per repository *and* another per group.

Correction: there is the possibility to do multiple workboards at the
project/repository level, which should suit most projects fine.

There is however a limitation of one workboard at the group level,
although it is anticipated that this should be sufficient for planning
and tracking for most grouped projects.

> Now, how big do we make the group workboard? All of KDE? A smaller category? That is the question.
>
> --
> Nicolas

Cheers,
Ben