Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Apr 27 21:50:26 BST 2020

El dilluns, 27 d’abril de 2020, a les 3:40:01 CEST, Bhushan Shah va escriure:
> [Please keep sysadmin at kde.org list or bshah at kde.org in the CC for
> replies]
>
> Hello Community members,
>
> In view of upcoming Gitlab migration, we sysadmin team wants to share
> the recommended structuring for the repositories on Gitlab.
>
> We had multiple options,
>
> - Flat structure: In this option we would have everything under one
>   single namespace/group: https://invent.kde.org/kde/knetwalk
> - Subgroups under top-level group: In this option we would have a groups
>   under KDE namespace: https://invent.kde.org/kde/games/knetwalk
> - Groups at top level: In this option we would establish a series of
>   groups at the top level, e.g.  https://invent.kde.org/games/knetwalk
>
> We have discussed this with small but representative group of
> contributors or maintainers, and based on their suggestions, we
> recommend that we go with option 3. Having sub-groups at top level will
> allow us to,
>
> - Provides good visibility on all reviews, tasks and other items within
>   the groups/modules we define
> - Provides improvements to discoverability of projects
> - Makes it possible for groups of projects to establish a group level
>   task board should it fit their needs (for tracking a release for
>   instance)
> - Makes the most semantic sense, as the ‘KDE’ top level group suggested
>   in option 2 is duplicative considering the Gitlab instance is under
>   kde.org.
> - The discoverability of projects is maximised, as there is no need to
>   open the top level ‘KDE’ group before going into the subgroup.
>
> I've worked on draft "move" of the current set of the repositories in
> their respective subgroups at the repo-metadata project's branch [1].
> You can browse the directory structure to get idea of how final
> structure on Gitlab would look like.
>
> If we don't have any objections we would like to implement this next
> week and move projects to https://invent.kde.org.

Anything that breaks kde:$repo will break the release-tools used for the monthly releases done by the release service and the l10n scripty scripts.

If it ends up happening it would be good if such change is as far away as possible from a release so the scripts can be adapted timely and hopefully without mistakes.

Cheers,
  Albert