Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Bhushan Shah bshah at mykolab.com
Mon Apr 27 14:14:55 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 06:02:19PM +0530, Piyush Aggarwal wrote:
> How long do redirects like this one work? If they will keep working
> indefinitely, then maybe we can have all the repos at flat URLs for once
> and then move them to respective subgroups? That way we will have access to
> our simple URLs through a redirect as I mentioned before, and also the
> ability to manage the Invent as recommended by sysadmins.

Documentation says that redirect will stay as long as original name is
not claimed by the new group, user or project.

However there's multiple problems with the workflow of moving something
to the KDE/ namespace first and then to respective group.

- There will be empty KDE/ group visible which would be confusing for
  visitors
- Workflow of the importing repository becomes complicated without any
  advantage IMO. For instance to import bshah/kframework into
  frameworks/ I've to first transfer it's ownership to KDE and then
  transfer it's ownership to frameworks/ group.
- But most importantly, this breaks with the non-unique leaf repository
  names feature offered by the proposed structure. So, There could be
  maui/documentation and wikitolearn/documentation. But we would have
  single KDE/documentation redirect

--
Bhushan Shah
http://blog.bshah.in