Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Piyush Aggarwal piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:32:19 BST 2020

On Mon, 27 Apr, 2020, 5:57 pm Bhushan Shah, <bshah at kde.org> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 02:10:11PM +0200, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On maandag 27 april 2020 03:40:01 CEST Bhushan Shah wrote:
> >
> > > [1]
> https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata.git/tree/projects-invent?h=bshah/invent
> >
> > Maybe it would make sense to keep a kde top-level group for some of the
> bigger projects that really don't fit in a category -- I don't think Krita
> fits in the graphics group, since we never ever do anything with any of the
> other repositories in that category.
>
> Slightly off-topic, but, in general idea is that we want to get away
> from the KDE is software, and more towards KDE is community and people,
> having a KDE/ namespace is step backward IMHO.
>
> > I have to admit, I also dread updating instructions and checkouts
> everywhere from invent.kde.org/kde/krita to invent.kde.org/graphics/krita.
> ..
>
> You don't really have to update the URL, since this project was already
> on invent.kde.org we would be doing a move, which would automatically
> add a redirect, so while if you want to update, it is fine, it won't be
> breaking any of existing links/setups.

How long do redirects like this one work? If they will keep working
indefinitely, then maybe we can have all the repos at flat URLs for once
and then move them to respective subgroups? That way we will have access to
our simple URLs through a redirect as I mentioned before, and also the
ability to manage the Invent as recommended by sysadmins.

Best
Piyush Aggarwal