Qt, Open Source and corona

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 17:25:46 BST 2020

Hi Sebastian, thanks everyone for your contribution to discussion on
this important albeit unfortunate topic,

Le 2020-04-09 à 10:06, Sebastian Kügler a écrit :
> On donderdag 9 april 2020 15:29:22 CEST Noah Davis wrote:
>> I've seen a lot of people on Reddit and various chat rooms who are a
>> fan of Kt as a name.
> I'd advise against this discussion at this point, it doesn't belong here, it's
> a topic that can quickly explode, lead to bike-shedding and distracts from the
> very serious topic of "what is a good strategy to move forward in this
> situation?".
>
> Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't see how discussing a name throws anything out. Coming from a
Debian background, I know from the Iceweasel debacle that forks do not
have to be seen as pure waste and can lead to great results.

Unless the situation is less bad than it seemed in Olaf's report, I
don't find it too early to discuss a name. In fact, if there is concern
about distraction, finding a name early can be strategic to facilitate
creating dedicated infrastructure. Until a dedicated forum is created, I
do not see what forum other than this one would be better for such a
discussion. Of course, in no way does that prevent usual discussion
hygiene - if a reply in a thread which has reached this one's size
focuses on naming, better adjust the Subject to reflect that.

As for Noah's suggestion, thanks Noah, I find the name interesting. I
find it short though. It's great if "KT" is not a popular acronym, but
2-letter names unavoidably remain quite ambiguous, and even search
engines themselves may ignore 2-letter words. As a prominent example,
MySQL FULLTEXT requires 3 or 4 by default:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_ft_min_word_len
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/innodb-parameters.html#sysvar_innodb_ft_min_token_size

> [...]

Sincerely hoping to see this discussion remain nothing more than a not-so-Qt discussion,
--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com