Qt, Open Source and corona

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Thu Apr 9 09:19:00 BST 2020

On miƩrcoles, 8 de abril de 2020 23:20:34 (CEST) Jens wrote:
> On onsdag 8 april 2020 kl. 20:11:47 CEST Paul Brown wrote:

> > > I strongly agree. I think the sooner we demonstrate that we are capable
> > > of credibly maintaining a fork with other stakeholders in the FOSS Qt
> > > ecosystem, the stronger of a bargaining chip it will be in our
> > > negotiations with TQtC, so we don't have to. And in case the
> > > negotiations break down and we are forced to move forward with the fork,
> > > our prior preparation will ensure continuity so we won't have to
> > > scramble at the last minute.
> > >
> > > It's heartening that KDAB has already indicated willingness to support
> > > such a thing should it become necessary. Are there other Qt-using
> > > companies who we could reach out to?
> >
> > * Autodesk:
> > https://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/open-source-dist
> > ibution
> >
> > * MBition (Daimler/Mercedes company -- Eike may be able to give mor
> > information that).
>
> VLC? I mean its not a large company exactly but its Qt, it's ballsy and
> would probably be pro a fork.

To further this list, a friend in the VFX industry  pointed out that all these
non-KDE projects use the Free version of Qt  (thanks Mike):

* Appleseed: https://appleseedhq.net/  --- https://github.com/appleseedhq/
appleseed
* Gaffer (by Image Engine): https://gafferhq.org/ --- https://github.com/
gafferHQ/gaffer
* Olive Editor: https://olivevideoeditor.org/  ---  https://github.com/olive-editor/olive
* OpenCue (Python): https://www.opencue.io/  --  https://github.com/
AcademySoftwareFoundation/OpenCue
* Autodesk Maya-USD:  https://github.com/autodesk/maya-usd

... and from Pixar:

* Pixar USD (Python): https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html  ---
https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/usd
* Pixar OpenTimelineIO (Python): http://opentimeline.io/  ---  https://
github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/opentimelineio

Some are community-originated and others are company-originated projects, but,
either way,  my guess is that they would all prefer things remained the way
they were.

Cheers

Paul
--