Help with KDE PIM and Google Privacy Policies needed

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Mar 6 15:29:21 GMT 2020

Martin Steigerwald - 06.03.20, 16:11:48 CET:
> Nicolás Alvarez - 06.03.20, 16:07:09 CET:
> > > On 6 Mar 2020, at 11:26, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de>
> > > wrote:
[…]
> > > Martin Flöser - 06.03.20, 13:14:36 CET:

> > > I ask a different question:
> > >
> > > Why – at all – rely on a provider who dictates on who gets access
> > > it and who does not? Why – at all – rely on a provider who by
> > > doing
> > > so creates a walled garden?
> >
> > That's something you should go ask the thousands of users
> > complaining
> > that they can't connect to GMail using KMail. They're the ones
> > relying on the provider. Go to the bug report and tell them the
> > solution to their KMail errors is to stop using Google services.
> > That
> > should go well :)
>
> See?

Also I am not saying don't do anything about it at all. However I really
dislike the mentality here: GMail users apparently get the service for
free – hint: you don't – and then GMail users expect KDEPIM developers
to do the necessary work to support it for free… and complain when its
not done in time, even when it is for good reasons.

What would be appropriate here would be:

Thank you Daniel, thank you KDE e.V., thank you everyone else involved
with this for even putting up with it!

Let me repeat that so it sinks in:

Thank you Daniel, thank you KDE e.V., thank you everyone else involved
with this for even putting up with it!

If the KDE community is serious about privacy I believe it is
appropriate to ask the questions I have asked. And go about ethical
services, as well. Instead of (just) applying the dual standard being:
We are serious about your privacy, but if you don't care about it we
support it as well. Spending time of it that could be used to actually
go about ethical services.

Sure, KDE as a provider would not make much sense or would it? But KDE
people did it before. Owncloud and Nextcloud arised from that. And
Kolab… And there are people who provide those ethical services on a
donation base¹ or with a regular fee² ³.

And then there are Freedom Box, Nextcloud boxes and what not…

[1] Okay, then… dismail.de, disroot.org and I bet some others.

[2] Kolab Now, Mailbox.org, Posteo.de as well as others.

[3] dismail.de and disroot.org are also only sustainable if people are
willing to pay something for it.

If you see an advertisement in there… it is only fair compensation for
all the advertisement for GMail here.

Best,
--
Martin