Welcome, Adam!

Adam Szopa adam.szopa at kde.org
Sat Feb 22 20:37:41 GMT 2020

Dnia sobota, 22 lutego 2020 21:32:47 CET Lydia Pintscher pisze:
> Hi everyone,
>
> last year we were looking for someone to help us with project
> coordination tasks. Today I'm happy to let you know that we have found
> a great person. I'd like to introduce you to Adam Szopa who will be
> working with us from now on. I'll let him say more about himself.
>
> Adam's focus will be on supporting the goals - especially in the first
> months. He'll help with setting up regular calls, reporting progress,
> goals sprints organisation as well as any other organisational things
> the goals keepers need support with to make sure the goals make good
> progress. After that Adam will also have some time to help with other
> project coordination tasks beyond the goals. If your team would like
> to take advantage of that please reach out to me and Adam.
>
> Please give him a warm welcome.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

Hello KDE community!

Thank you Lydia for the introduction. I'll take a few moments to talk about
who I am, and how I want to help KDE become the organization it deserves to
be.

I've worked for several years as a software developer for various companies,
but in the last few years I've found that I can bring even more value if I
take on a more management focused role. And so, my programming time has turned
into occasional Kata exercise in Rust, and my job is helping developers
however I can in  achieving their goals, and helping management be more
organized and informed.

My experience with KDE started when I found early screenshots of the new
upcoming Plasma 5 desktop. Around that time I was looking to move my main PC
from a different ecosystem, and something with that new look really resonated
with me. Let me tell you, the early "Kubuntu Plasma 5.0 alpha preview" system
was, wild, unstable but very exciting! I'm very glad I stuck with it, and
witnessed the evolution into the desktop it is today. Eventually I moved to
KDE Neon, and that's where I'm at now.

KDE is an amazing community. No matter if you're an active contributor, a bug
submitter or just a user of the software, you help create a better digital
environment for thousands of people, an environment that is aligned with the
KDE vision (https://community.kde.org/KDE/Vision). And while the community
itself is growing, and the software reaches new and new people every day, the
hurdles of maintaining the organization part of it all grow as well.

And this is were I come in. As Lydia mentioned I will first focus on making
sure there is nothing stopping us from reaching our goals (https://kde.org/
goals), and then move to other areas where my coordination assistance can
help.

Remember, there is no shame in asking for help. The same way you'd ask the
community for technical assistance with the software, you can ask me for
coordination help.

I'm reachable by:

email: adam.szopa at kde.org

matrix: @adam:kde.org

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

- Adam