A safe haven for the community's memories

Piyush Aggarwal piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 06:23:02 GMT 2020

Hello KDE Community

I love attending community events, and I am pretty sure most of us in the
community can relate to the problem I am about to mention.

Almost always, photographs, videos and other forms of digital memorabilia
are so badly dispersed among the attendees, many of us have barely any
photographs from the event. The only way to get the photos we want is by
immediately getting the photographs on our phone then and there, during the
event. The alternative after the event concludes and everyone is back home
safely, is to expect the sender to send the photographs as a mail
attachment or some other way that is generally a pain.
So, this mail thread aims to initiate a discussion on the prospect of
setting up a Kloud, of sorts.

At the recent conf.kde.in 2020 that happened in New Delhi, India, members
of the KDE Community briefly discussed about the advantages of an online,
shared server storage where the community can upload photographs and/ or
short videos of the events graced by the KDE Community.
One good example of this practice is LAS, the Linux App Summit which has a
similar idea implemented [1] to collect photographs from the event.
The current best solution as far as I know, is https://share.kde.org ,
which is limited to just 100 MB.
Would it be feasible for the KDE Community, especially our sysadmins, to
host a server for this purpose? :-)