Planet KDE posts not about KDE (was: Re: Please don't make planet.kde.org into a politics feed)

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Wed Dec 11 13:58:38 GMT 2019

Am Mittwoch, 11. Dezember 2019, 03:55:15 CET schrieb Martin Klapetek:
> [...]
> > I'm afraid the problem is already there. The problem starts from the
> > moment a member posts an unrelated post, when someone who is not
> > interested in it starts reading.
>
> But how is that problem of the Planet?

I guess it is a matter of expectations. From the feedback that I got, a couple
of people consider the planet to be about KDE and are thus estranged when
controversial subjects such as politics do come up.

> If the reader decides to
> read something, then the reader can't blame the medium for giving
> them the opportunity to read that. It's always up to readers to decide
> whether they want to read something or not. The choice is theirs already.

Sure, due to how the planet is set-up and depending on the blog post(s) in
question, it can be a bit cluttered up / makes it harder to find the content
the above named people came to planet for.

Hence offering the idea of a filter, which would allow these people to read
what they came to the planet for, which is directly KDE related content.

Of course one can decide that we do not want to create that opportunity for
these people due to technical, effort-versus-gain or many other valid reasons,
that will in my opinion just to lead to these people being alienated and not
reading the planet. Which is why I think a filter would be nice, but I'm most
certainly not going to die on that hill.

> Cheers
> --
> Martin Klapetek

Kind regards,