New homepage for kde.org

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Dec 9 08:45:45 GMT 2019

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 7:04 PM Christoph Cullmann <christoph at cullmann.io> wrote:

> On 2019-12-08 21:12, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> is this still a legal issue if one anonymizes the IPs during
> >> processing?
> >
> > I don't think it matters whether it would be legal. What matters is
> > that
> > people whose browsers are set to send "Do Not Track" (or who have opted
> > out of
> > tracking some other way) shouldn't be tracked in any way.
>
> No visitor of the page is tracked in any way with such stats.
>
> You get just plain "X access to this page" with maximal country/town
> granularity.
>
> There is no kind of visitor tracking as it would happen if you accept
> the piwik cookie.

You'd be surprised at what can be gleaned from server logs - while a
cookie or other unique identifier provides quite a bit more detail and
certainty as to who someone is, even without that it is certainly
possible to combine several details (such as IP address, browser user
agent and referrer) to perform tracking of a user while they're within
your site.

In any event, we already have Matomo/Piwik in place and it works very
well, providing excellent visualisation of the information it does
collect, while complying with our various requirements. It does mean a
cookie banner, but there isn't really another way to do it (as any
other approach doesn't allow people to opt out)

Log processing would require amending our privacy policy (per the GDPR
we cannot process information for purposes other than which we've
collected it, and our logs are not collected for the purposes of
website statistics), and be additional stuff for us to maintain - not
to mention being more expensive to maintain when compared with Matomo
as it has to be setup on a server by server basis (which Matomo does
not)

> Greetings
> Christoph
>

> > Regards,