New homepage for kde.org

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Dec 8 17:12:28 GMT 2019

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 3:58 AM Christoph Cullmann <christoph at cullmann.io> wrote:

> On 2019-12-07 23:52, Nate Graham wrote:
> > This looks excellent.
> >
> > I have just a few suggestions:
> >
> > The Applications section could be simplified by omitting the 2x3 grid
> > of apps on the top, since those same apps are then presented with nice
> > screenshots and text immediately below.
> >
> > The Community section feels like it has too many pictures in it. Maybe
> > pare that down to just 3, like an Akademy group photo, the GSoC photo,
> > and the LaKademy 2018 photo.
>
> Hi,
>
> I think, too, the new page looks very nice!
>
> I am with Nate, that for the pictures, on the start page, less is more.
> Having some there is really a great idea, to show that we are an active
> community
> of people. But a few would be enough and we can have some sub-page with
> pictures from our past events.
>
> Technical side note: given one of our aims is privacy, do we really need
> the piwik stuff
> or would normal web logs with statistics enough for our purpose?

If you want any form of statistics, then it has to be Piwik (now
called Matomo btw)

Processing of our logs for web statistics purposes is not permitted by
our privacy policies (see https://kde.org/privacypolicy.php).

It is also much more problematic to process logs as people have no way
of opting out from that processing because every request is logged -
whereas Piwik/Matomo gives them the ability to opt out.

> We could aim to be a cookie free (and external resources free) site that
> doesn't track
> people at all.
>
> I am not that convinced we need the statistics that much.
>
> Greetings
> Christoph

Regards,
Ben