Finances (was Re: Issues (Re: KDE e.V. Community Report for 2018 available))

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 21:47:31 GMT 2019

Le 2019-11-30 à 12:39, Paul Brown a écrit :
> On sábado, 30 de noviembre de 2019 17:11:07 (CET) Philippe Cloutier wrote:
>> Thanks Paul,
>>
>> Le 2019-11-29 à 12:22, Paul Brown a écrit :

>>    * The "Financial working group" section is unclear about the year(s)
>>      covered. It seems to cover 2018, but also 2017. If it covers both,
>>      the paragraph in the 2017 Financial Data section is extremely
>>      confusing at best.
> Read it at face value: the first section discusses what happened in 2018, while
> the second is the official 2017 report made after the closure of the 2017
> financial year. If you need more clarification, maybe ask Eike, Neofytos, or
> some other member of the working group?

Reading it at face value means that the 2017 income was 591.616 EUR,
while the 2018 income was lower, at 591,000 EUR. Yet, the first sentence
in that section claims:

> In 2018, KDE e.V. received several large one-time donations raising
> our annual income to a record 591,000 EUR.
In the context of a yearly report, many will interpret "record" as an
indication that the income is at least as high as that of all previous
years. While "record" does not necessarily mean highest, it seems
unlikely that this interpretation is correct, and the term "record"
would rather be removed if it is.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com