Sysadmin Load Reduction: Code Related Services

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Nov 20 10:17:37 GMT 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:48 AM Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 6:29 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> > It'll be hard to tell whether a name is unique or not when creating a
> > repository unfortunately.
> > For the most part I do not expect collisions to occur though and we
> > certainly won't aim to create duplicate names.
>
> Wouldn't creating a repo also include creating the repo-metadata file
> for it? Through that it should be easy to assert uniqueness via a
> server-side hook on repo-metadata.

Not necessarily. It will definitely be possible for a repository to
exist on Gitlab but not in the repo-metadata repository.
Any sync to repo-metadata would be a step taken after the repository
is created on Gitlab.

Ideally we would have an automated script sync the contents of
repo-metadata after they're changed on Gitlab (ie. Gitlab is the
authoritative source here)

Having the repository come into existence after the repo-metadata
entry can cause issues, although they appear fairly rarely as there is
generally a delay between Sysadmin creating the repository and
Developers starting to use a repository - hence why i'd like for the
repository to appear first.

> In point of fact, if we fully flatten out the files I expect uniquness
> would be implicit.
>
> e.g.
>
> repo-metadata/projects/blinken.yaml (repopath: kde/blinken)
> repo-metadata/projects/kinfocenter.yaml (repopath: kde/kinfocenter
> repo-metadata/projects/www-kde-org.yaml (repopath: sysadmin/www-kde-org)

Website repositories, much like Sysadmin repositories, will continue
to live in their own namespaces and therefore should not be flattened
(if they're even included in repo-metadata, as they won't be under
kde/)

Please note that the repository paths for Blinken and KInfoCenter will
be kde/edu/blinken and kde/plasma/kinfocenter respectively, as a
degree of grouping is required on Gitlab for ease of visibility over
merge requests and tasks (modules rarely change, and Gitlab handles
redirecting old names to new names for us in any event even for Git
clients)

> HS

Cheers,
Ben