Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Ilya Bizyaev bizyaev at zoho.com
Tue Nov 12 11:54:09 GMT 2019

A task shows this attitude much better as it is something that will be completed eventually. "[WIP] Migrate translations from SVN to Git" to me sounds like a clear intention.

Docs, in contrast, are static and do not display any motivation for migration. "Top 10 Reasons Why We Can't Use Git".

Best regards,

Ilya.

---- Дата: Вт, 12 ноя 2019 14:12:28 +0300 Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> написал(а) ----

Ben Cooksley ha scritto:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Alexander Potashev
> <mailto:aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> пн, 11 нояб. 2019 г. в 17:02, Luigi Toscano <mailto:luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>:

>>> When I talk about local merges, I foresee a bit of mess when resolving a merge
>>> locally, which may result in proper commits whose content has an invalid syntax.
>>
>> I don't get it.
>>
>> If you have conflicting changes, either with SVN or Git, you have to
>> resolve the conflict manually. Of course it's easy to break the syntax
>> while doing so, however SVN does not make it any easier than Git.

>>> Documentation does not seem to help (or at least I don't seem to find it in
>>> the man pages for git 2.24). Do you know how it could filter just some
>>> directories? It seems more focused on filtering by object type.
>>
>> OK, I now tried this approach with Git 2.23 (see attached log) and
>> found horrible problems that make it basically unusable:
>>
>>  1. git-checkout downloads each file in a new SSH connection. It make
>> the download really slow: less than 1 file per second in my setup.
>> That means downloading of translations into one language would take
>> more than an hour.
>>
>>  2. git-status silently tries to download to whole Git repository.
>>
>>  3. git-commit tries to download some files one by one again.

>>> I don't know. For me having a board and tasks (it's not just a single task,
>>> it's an entire project) sounds like there is something that can be
>>> implemented, and I don't think it's the case.
>>
>> The tag [WIP] would hint that we are not sure if it can be
>> implemented. We can even name it "Reasons why translations cannot
>> migrate to Git", if necessary.
>
> Sorry, but if you proceed with using a title such as that one, then
> you are not being constructive or helpful towards this conversation.
>
> That title would indicate to me that the translation community is
> completely unwilling to consider change of any form.

That's why it shouldn't be a task at this point, but a document showing why we
can't migrate.
It's not a matter that we are unwilling to consider. The problem is that the
current state makes it almost impossible to migrate. The document would
explain why.

--
Luigi