Reducing the load on Sysadmin

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Nov 8 23:49:49 GMT 2019

Hi all,

One of the things that was prepared as a result of the Sysadmin BoF at
Akademy was a list of systems and services which we look after and
provide to the community.

Whilst individually all of the services seem fairly reasonable and
maintainable, the cumulative number of them has created a situation
where they limit our ability to reasonably maintain our services as a
collective whole.

I've therefore conducted an analysis of all the various services we
operate, with the objective of shutting down those services and sites
that either provide marginal benefit to the community, are historical
in nature or which could be provided better by others.

Please note that while individually each item may seem small (and
therefore "not an issue" to continue running), it is the collective
number of them that create the problem.

I'll shortly be sending out a series of emails regarding the services
in question which have been identified for shutdown.

Cheers,
Ben