Issues with the issue tracking system

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 01:00:08 GMT 2019


Hi Harald,

On 2019-11-04 07:03, Harald Sitter wrote:
> Hey.
>
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 2:12 AM Philippe Cloutier <chealer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear community,
>> I am facing 2 issues with the ITS which I cannot solve myself currently.
>>
>> Over the last months, I requested the "severity" (importance) of several
>> tickets to be adjusted:
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=149902#c4
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=317656#c17
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=410284#c7
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206170#c4
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408981#c4
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407059#c1
> We don't adjust either field because we feel like it, Martin explains
> very well why. Since nobody acted on your proposals the conclusion to
> draw is that nobody agreed with them enough to take action.

Right... and the only conclusion to draw from that one may be that 
nobody's even looked at the proposals :-(


>
>> No adjustment was done yet. Please either:
>> 1. Solve https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=272388
>> 2. Allow more developers to modify the field
>> 3. Or perform the requested changes
>>
>> #3 would already be appreciated, but I recommend more as 6/6 over 2
>> weeks after the latest request was done visibly signals a systemic issue.
> As Christoph, Martin and David explained now, there is nothing to deal
> with in that report ...

Christoph hasn't explained that. Which David are you referring to? 
Martin visibly hasn't even looked at all tickets and hopefully didn't 
"explain" such a thing.


> [...]
>> This has been going on for more than a month now, and I now hesitate to
>> keep contributing, as I feel many of my contributions would go through
>> the trash. I believe I made a fair effort at solving this with simple
>> communication, as can be seen in #411285 and #412299, but that avenue
>> appears to be insufficient.
>>
>> On the other hand, I saw the same individual contribute positively
>> shortly before, and one who looks well will find a few positive
>> contributions even in the above. Health is not my profession, and I do
>> not know enough about him to make any kind of diagnosis.
> Let me be perfectly clear: you are way out of line here. Which is all
> the more concerning considering you have been contributing to KDE for
> more than a decade [1] so I am sure you've picked up on how we as a
> community conduct ourselves and how we solve issues. Talk with the
> affected people and teams on IRC or the respective mailing lists.

I use IRC to support users, but I don't use it for issue tracking. As 
for mailing lists, this issue may affect everyone in the community, so 
kde-community seems like a fair choice.


>   If
> all else fails we have an excellent community working group to help us
> resolve conflicts.

How can you tell that wasn't already attempted?

[...]

>
> What I am observing is a huge disconnect that is best summed up by
> your comment here:
>
> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=412321#c5
>
> You do not seem to realize that Nate is a KDE Developer, an active and
> well respected one at that.

I certainly realize that he is a developer. I'm not sure how him being 
active increases disconnect with my comment. As for respect, that's a 
bit what I'm trying to weigh here.


>   He is also a super active bug triager. So
> you were not only telling a developer that they can't close your
> report because they are in the wrong, you then also go on to explain
> to a member of a bug triage team how to triage bugs correctly. "It's
> not what you say - it's how you say it" and the way *you* communicated
> is with a distinct air of superiority, I'll not faulting anyone for
> not being super receptive or engaging after encounters like that.

It's possible that some of what I wrote could have been more diplomatic, 
but I hope you understand that dismissing the work of your colleagues 
does not set the stage for the most diplomatic exchanges with them.

In any case, the issue here is not the individual's lack of super 
receptiveness; it's that individual's disrespect and - more importantly 
- ITS misuse.


> Finally, we find ourselves here with you implying that Nate is of
> unsound mind and needs to be dealt with somehow... You are wrong and
> this is utterly disrespectful. Nate is well. He's a treasure to this
> community. I have read through the reports and couldn't find him in
> the wrong.

I don't know if I find that reassuring, but thank you, that is exactly 
the kind of feedback I was looking for.


>
> I very much urge you to take a step back.

I already took a step back opening this topic (but looking at the 
reactions it has attracted so far, I may indeed take more :-/ ).


> [...]

-- 
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com



More information about the kde-community mailing list