Licensing policy and Apache 2.0

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Oct 21 17:22:16 BST 2019

On Monday, 21 October 2019 12:13:49 CEST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> I'm not against this but the downsides are:
> -it's yet another licence so would add confusion
> -it's incompatible with the GPL 2 so there's an increased risk of
> incompatible licences interfering with each other

The incompatibility with GPLv2 is indeed a problem, but one we have to face
anyway, due to OpenSSL attempting to relicense to Apache 2. As that's a very
fundamental dependency we need to eventually have our entire code Apache 2
compatible I think. (GPLv2-only code isn't actually allowed by the license
policy, but it nevertheless still exists in a few places for historic
reasons).

Regards,
Volker