KDE should rather act then just "strike" (Re: Should KDE join the (Digital) Global Climate Strike this friday?)

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Fri Sep 20 21:35:26 BST 2019

Hi,

> I learn by social media that KDE is now endorsing this very strike.
> Well, I
> obviously do not. There are better activities actually worth endorsing.
> Too
> bad some people think they can simply go and speak on whole of KDE's
> behalf? I
> feel bitter having to distance myself from a "KDE" position, despite
> thinking
> to be part of KDE. (also be aware of the irony to add tiny resource
> usages to
> websites with those additional banners, and KDE now linking to some
> place
> which endorses Twitter & Facebook, incl. Twitter & Google tracking on
> the
> website... not my future but another crisis)

I must confess I missed that we decided to participate, too, but digging
in the mails of this thread it seems the board of e.V. did so. (if I
don't misread
Aleix mail)

This is OK for me, as for that the board got elected, to do some
decision
when we can't wait for weeks to vote on something.

Thought I would have appreciated if at least a 5 lines post of the
announcement
that "KDE joins this" would have been done on the planet or here to make
clear what happens. I am not sure that communicating this over twitter
only
is the best way to do that, given we have the lists/planet/dot.

(not that twitter is bad to advertise it to the world)

I think this would have been be possible to discuss more properly if one
didn't bring this up
a few days before it needs to happens.

Some people in the thread said they had this strike marked since months
thought it seems
nobody thought about communicating it to our community here a bit
earlier that "let's do this
this week".

Greetings
Christoph

P.S.

:-) You might not remember, but I did put up the "we oppose software
patents" strike banner
more than a decade ago on kde.org and got burned a lot for that, even
thought we discussed that internally
at that time.

--
Ignorance is bliss...