Retirement of notes.kde.org

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Sep 16 19:20:42 BST 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:49 PM Riccardo Iaconelli
<riccardo.iaconelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,

Hi Riccardo,

> On lunedì 16 settembre 2019 08:03:31 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > The content of notes.kde.org will be exported - likely in ODT format -
> > prior to us shutting it down.
> > The resulting files will be made available on share.kde.org.
> >
> > If there are things which need to be resolved prior to the shutdown of
> > notes.kde.org we can look into those.
> >
> > While it is unfortunate that the links will be broken, we should be
> > able to make them relatively close (ie. send the user to a public view
> > of the folder on share.kde.org which contains all of the content
> > exported from notes.kde.org) so the user isn't too far from the
> > original link.
>
> will we expose any content to the public indexing? I know of a few documents
> which relied on the protection of being unlisted from Google to draft emails
> or other group notes which are not entirely for the public to search through.

Group notes that were created within a group namespace previously
registered with Sysadmin (which will have a corresponding group on
Identity) will only be made accessible to that group (via a special
folder on share.kde.org) following the export/shutdown of Notes. These
pads can be denoted by the -private- in the name of the pad.

For all other files, they'll be made publicly accessible to a certain
degree, so i'd recommend blanking the content of any notes that
shouldn't be made public prior to the shutdown.

> Riccardo

Cheers,
Ben