Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 4 19:42:31 BST 2019

Hi all,

I just read through the complete thread and thought I want to add a
little bit, because I think we miss the big picture.

Boud pretty much describes the problem large projects (krita, kwin,
plasma) have with bugzilla. We don't use bugzilla to handle bug reports,
but to somehow manage all the reports we get, to survive. I blogged
about these issues years ago, I did statistics for KWin showing that >
90 % of the incoming bug reports are not bug reports, but rather
duplicates, user support, etc. The situation hasn't changed much over
the years. Reading Boud's comments it looks like the situation became
much worse for krita lately and I do not want to swap with him.

Obviously for any large project the idea of swapping to an inferior
system (which gitlab seems to be, haven't used it yet) is a horrible
idea. But that's not the problem. The problem is that users interact
with developers directly. The user goes to bugzilla or gitlab issues and
reports a support request. Instead of friendly user support he gets a
grumpy third level support answer that this is not an issue. No help,
frustrated user and frustrated dev who just wasted another minute on
bugzilla to handle user support.

No company would allow to have Boud handle user support. That's insane.
He's product owner, chief technologies, call him whatever you want, but
he is not first level user supporter.

That's the problem we have to face. Whether we use bugzilla or gitlab
issues for internal issues is irrelevant. What is important is that we
get users to use an adequate user support forum and not bugzilla or
gitlab issues. Once we get the shit reports out of our bug tracker,
everything looks different.

Right now from KWin perspective I would say "hell no!" to the idea of
using gitlab issues. But a better tool for development which gitlab
issue seems to be is something I would like to have. Because for
development planing I never really liked bugzilla. Although it might be
that it was just too useless due to all the invalid bug reports.

My suggestion is to address the user support and then look into whether
we want to keep bugzilla or switch to gitlab issues.

Cheers
Martin