Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jul 4 18:26:49 BST 2019

On donderdag 4 juli 2019 19:19:17 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> On 7/4/19 11:06 AM, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Actually, do we really want that every user bug reporter opens an
> > account on invent.kde.org?
> >
> > I actually think the split of accounts between phabricator/gitlab vs.
> > bugzilla is no bad but a good feature.
>
> It would definitely solve that problem, but there are a few practical
> problems with this:
>
> - People would continue to need two accounts (BKO and identity/invent),

Like I said in my other mail, it's not hugely important for the kind of reporter who is not already a developer, and who knows, maybe that can be fixed as well. It's not like Identity is universally beloved.

> and the systems wouldn't be integrated as well as thy could be, which
> negates some of the purported advantages of moving to GitLab in the
> first place

But that's the _point_. There needs to be a kind of division between user issue reporting and developer/development activity.

> - GitLab Issues are lacking some of the features of Phabricator Tasks
> such as parent & sub-task tracking

Yes, gitlab issues is an all-round aenemic feature, but I could live with it for a tasks replacement, but not for a issue reporter replacement.

> - Using GitLab Issues exclusively to replace Phab Tasks will confuse
> users who are accustomed to using Issues for bug reporting in other
> projects (though I suppose this could be remedied by renaming "Issues"
> to "Tasks" in the UI, and implementing a template that explicitly says
> "Don't use this to report bugs")

And users get would sent to bugs.kde.org anyway; no normal user is going to something called "invent.kde.org" to report a bug, unless there's very specific guidancce to send them there.

--
https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org