Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 3 19:37:34 BST 2019

On woensdag 3 juli 2019 20:23:41 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> On 7/3/19 11:53 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > If the new is much better than the old, let's just remove the old.
> >
> > As said, having two things that do the same is just confusing for everyone.
>
> I would tend to agree, and having two is super confusing.

But are they the same things? I need both user reports and developer tasks/projects. The only task-like system github offers is the issues system, isn't it?

> In general,
> people who have reported bugs on both Bugzilla and GitHub or GitLab seem
> to agree that Bugzilla's UX is inferior. However I don't believe we've
> officially trialed GitLab Issues and investigated what missing features
> need to be added before we can migrate to it. Maybe the time to do that
> is now, as a part of the general GitLab evaluation and migration period.

Besides, it's already too easy to make a bug report. Getting more bug reports is not a priority for me; at this I would prefer to have less interaction between developers and users than more, because we're going crazy right now. We did try out the ask.krita.org site to mitigate the flood of user support requests, but that software didn't have the tools to handle user support properly (being more like a stackoverflow clone), so we canned that.

> Personally I find GitLab Issues to offer a vastly superior UX for bug
> reporting compared to Bugzilla. However the UX for bug management and
> triaging is not as granular.

And that's the important thing. Bugzilla is a developer tool, not a user tool. We must have easy tools to triage, query, sort, modify sets of reports. Bugzilla isn't perfect for that either, but the options gitlab gives for handling issues are so limited.

> For example I still haven't figured out a
> way to create a saved search for "all Issues opened in the last 24 hours
> across all projects". And it would be nice to have some kind of overview
> similar to https://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi.

Actually, weekly-bug-summary is currently my main management tool :-)

--
https://www.krita.org